Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Copper coat

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Hello Paul,

Please heed James remarks… without saying it, he is saying that a yard is taking advantage of you….  As I said in a private email to you.

Good luck.

Jean-Pierre

On 12 May 2017, at 19:07, James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Paul,

   We recently Copper Coated a Hardin 45 for a customer.  The material cost was about $1,700 + rollers, pans, gloves etc.  All of the work is in the preparation and depends on whether you are also applying a barrier coating etc..  In our case, my wife and I applied the 4 coats (the minimum) to one side of the boat one day and 4 coats on the other side the following day.  There is a learning curve to applying the product.  There is a bit of detail work getting under all of the blocking and stands depending again on how much prep work is required.  Once coated, the product is subject to damage from moisture, even from just dew for 2 days so you need to provide a drip line at the waterline and also carefully select the weather.    As to the effectiveness of the product, I do not have any personal experience yet.  I can tell you that the Micron paints can be applied over the Copper Coat and the adhesion is reported to be good.  A number of the people that applied the Copper Coat here locally in Florida did end up painting over the Copper Coat since they did have growth problems.  My impression is that the Copper Coat will require regular cleaning in the Tropics, though unlike paint it does not scrub off.  I am considering Copper Coating my own boat and then applying 2 coats of Micron at each haul out  so if at any point I am unable to haul and the Micron is no longer effective or has been scrubbed off, I will still have some protection.  The Copper Coat might be more effective in the Chesapeake.  Perhaps consider contacting Copper Coat and asking to see some of the other boats in your area with Copper Coat on them that have been in the water for a while.  Best of luck and if you go ahead with this, please post the results.

Best,

James Alton
SV Sueno, Maramu #220

On May 12, 2017, at 6:36 PM, osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

We have decided to apply Copper Coat on our Amel SM,. We are on our way to Chesapeake Bay, and have got one cost estimate from a yard there. The estimate is 12000 USD. Rather expansive, have anyone of you out here applied Copper coat? Is our indicated price resonable?
Any one have any suggestion of a good place to have it applied in The Chesapeak Bay area
Paul on S/Y Kerpa SM#259

Posted by: James Alton <Lokiyawl2@...>