Re: ELECTROLYSIS

pagandaisy <no_reply@...>

Were you plugged into shore power the entire time you were in Nanny
Cay? What about the zincs on the rudder? I know Nanny Cay well
having been in there for years. On more than one occasion I
encountered problems with the on shore power: loss of ground,
reversed polarity. Do you have a transformer as part of your
electrical system to step up from 120 to 240 volts? I believe mine
saved me from electrolisis more than once. Incidentally (and off the
record)don't depend upon Cay Electronics. Arnold

--- In amelyachtowners@y..., "jfolino901" <jfolino901@y...> wrote:
MY NEW SM #347 HAS SPENT A TOTAL TIME OF 5 MONTHS IN THE WATER FROM
HER LAUNCH SATE LAST OCTOBER TO BEING HAULED OUT IN LATE MARCH OF
THIS YEAR. DURING THAT TIME SHE WAS BERTHED A COUPLE OF WEEKS AT
THE
AMEL FLOAT IN LAROCHELLE. THEN FOR 2 MONTHS IN LAGOS, PORTUGAL.
FINALLY 1 MONTH @ NANNY CAY, TORTOLA. AFTER HAULING OUT I NOTICED
CONSIDERABLE ELECTROLYSIS TO THE PROP, ROPE CUTTER & THE BOTTOM
PAINT
FLAKING OFF AND THE ZINCS ALMOST TOTALLY DISOLVED. OF THIS 5 MONTH
TIME, FULLY 30 DAYS WERE SPENT SAILING FROM FRANCE TO PORTUGAL THEN
TO THE CARIBBEAN!
AMEL TO THEIR CREDIT SENT A CREW TO INVESTIGATE THE PROBLEM, IN
FACT
THEY ARE RETURNING TO MY BOAT IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS. SO FAR NO CAUSE
HAS BEEN REPORTED TO ME! I MADE NO CHANGES TO THE BOAT DURING THE
SHORT WHILE I WAS ON THE BOAT. NO OTHER ADJACENT BOAT AT ANY OF THE
MARINAS REPORTED ANY SIMILAR PROBLEMS REGARDING ELECTROLYSIS. ANY
COMMENTS?
JOHN FOLINO (SULAJON)