ATF fluid leak

edmund_steele

SM#331 has the Yanmar 85 HP engine with a ZF Hurth model HSW 250H – 2.8
transmission. The latter has had a small leak of ATF fluid from the
output drive shaft seal. I had a VERY expensive repair made a year ago
with a 45 mm "speedy sleeve". It made no difference whatsoever. The
leak is noticeable under the transmission but I have never had to top
up the fluid between routine servicing. It has been suggested that the
reason that it leaks is that there is no "breather" on the
transmission. It was further suggested that any device that needs a
cooler, should have a breather as no seal is going to withstand the
pressure build up. Has anyone had this problem? Has anyone added a
simple breather?
Ed
DoodleBug