Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Two questions concerning the Hydra 2000 213MHU and the 50 Amp charger

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Willem,

I assumed that you had looked at the windvane at the top of the mast. It is possible that it is broken or missing. You should refer to the exploded drawing I sent you and using binoculars, check the windvane.

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On May 16, 2017 07:42, "Bill & Judy Rouse" <yahoogroups@...> wrote:
Willem,

I do not know anything about that brand charger and it is not the original charger. You should probably have a marine electrician check this to insure the charger is correctly installed.

Regarding B&G manuals and 213 Mast Head Unit (213MHU) information, download these files from the Amel Owner's Group website:

B&G 213 masthead unit tests.pdf

B&G Wind Sensor Wiring and Troubleshooting.pdf

B&G Masthead Unit 213 exploded view

Your Amel came with a B&G213MHU at the top of the main mast. Assuming that this has not been changed, you can follow these instructions, or call a B&G technician to do the work.

The following assumes that the wiring and B&G processor are in working condition.
  1. Go to the top of the mast and visually inspect the windvane to determine that it is only pointing "between 30 and 120 degrees from starboard."
  2. Now, manually turn the windvane at the top of the 213MHU to point about 90 degrees to Port. Do your instruments show about 90 degrees to Port? Have crew advise you and manually turn it to other directions.
  3. If your instruments agree with the manual direction such as about 90 degrees to Port when the windvane is turned and it only points "between 30 and 120 degrees from starboard" when not manually turned, the bearing in part number 213-10-004 is bad...I recommend that you replace that entire part with a new part...it will unscrew, but at this point you should (see/perform next step)...
  4. Unscrew the entire 213MHU from its mount on the mast. Be careful because corrosion may cause the 213MHU to be stuck...if it is stuck, liberally spray the joint with penetrant and let it soak in for at least a day before retrying...then retry and, if still stuck, re-spray and repeat every 24 hours until successful...you do not want to break this part or the mount.
  5. Once you have the 213MHU removed and down use the attached exploded view to remove part number 213-10-004.
  6. My advice is to inspect the O Ring that seals the 213MHU to the 213MHU mount and clean the area and use silicone grease on this part.
  7. Inspect the socket contact pins for corrosion, clean them and use corrosionX before remounting (also use corrosionX on the socket for each pin on the 213MHU mount.
  8. I would also replace the wind sensor at the same time...part number 213-10-038. It also has a bearing that probably is very close to being bad.
Let me know if you solve your problem...I hope this helps, but as you can imagine, it is difficult for anyone to completely diagnose and direct repairs without being there with you.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 6:56 AM, Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...> wrote:
Willem,

Yes.

Later today, I will post the B&G Hydra manual in the Files Section of the Amel Owner's Group website.

However, you most likely need the replace a part in the 213MHU, which is the B&G mast head unit. I will also post in the Files Section a exploded view of the 213MHU with the part circled and some instructions on how to

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On May 16, 2017 05:05, "kavanga@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...om> wrote:

The wind meter is not working properly (all the time indicating between 30 and 120 degrees from starboard). The manual of the Hydra 2000 is in French and the Amel manual is not indicating where the computer and the contact box is installed. Can anyone help me out?

The other question is about the big battery charger which is not working. Is there a fuse or switch behind the cover? It is a Christec charger.

Willem Kroes

SM2000 #351 Kavanga,
from a very wet, windy and cold Denmark