Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Alternators and house batteries

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Same as John,
On the SM2K, the Volvo engine has 2 Alternators.
a 12 Volt to charge the starting battery (which will start the engine and generator)
and a 24 volt that will charge the battery bank.
The generator has a 12 volt alternator (to charge the starting battery).

Personally I carry an additional 12 volt automotive battery charger to charge a spare (not connected) starting battery (in case of lightning).
Prior every trip, I recharge the spare battery.

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Island Water World Marina, Sint Maarten, NA

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Alternators and house batteries
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 9:15 AM

Hi Thomas,   I think
that is possible because, on my SM37,  the main engine has
two alternators,  one is 24v(for house batteries) and the
other is 12v(for starter batteries).   On the generator
there is also a 12v alternator for the same starter
batteries.
I also have
a 24v on the shaft but I think that is outside the
topic.
The previous
owners staged jumper cables to connect the 24v house bank to
the 12v starter bank in emergency to start one of the
motors.  They claim this is safe for short time to start
motor....
Olivier
might know more
Regards John
John ClarkSM 37 Vent de
SoleilCharlotte Amalie, St. THOMAS

On May 23, 2017 10:09 AM,
"SV Garulfo svgarulfo@...
[amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>
wrote:

Hi all,
was reading a Sept 2015 discussion between Bill Rouse and
Colin Streeter to learn about the topic of having a 24/12DC
converter (not cheap!) or a 12V/230AC charger in case the
starter battery requires charging without either engines
running.
So the
alternators are the sole charging devices for the starter
battery. But they are used to charge the house battery bank
too, right? How is that achieved then, given the difference
in voltage?
Thanks
in advance for shedding some light
Thomas--