Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Alternators and house batteries

Nick Carter, Associate Broker; Jack Lingo Realtor, 302.228.NICK (6425) <nickcarter@...>

I am trying to determine the PHRF handicap for a 1986 Amel Mango 52' in the mid-Atlantic region for summer racing season.
Could anyone help out.
​Thank you,

Nick Carter
Handicapper for LYC Beer Can Fleet

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 10:15 AM, John Clark john.biohead@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Thomas,
   I think that is possible because, on my SM37,  the main engine has two alternators,  one is 24v(for house batteries) and the other is 12v(for starter batteries).   On the generator there is also a 12v alternator for the same starter batteries.

I also have a 24v on the shaft but I think that is outside the topic.

The previous owners staged jumper cables to connect the 24v house bank to the 12v starter bank in emergency to start one of the motors.  They claim this is safe for short time to start motor....

Olivier might know more

Regards John

John Clark
SM 37 Vent de Soleil
Charlotte Amalie, St. THOMAS

On May 23, 2017 10:09 AM, "SV Garulfo svgarulfo@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi all,

I was reading a Sept 2015 discussion between Bill Rouse and Colin Streeter to learn about the topic of having a 24/12DC converter (not cheap!) or a 12V/230AC charger in case the starter battery requires charging without either engines running.

So the alternators are the sole charging devices for the starter battery. But they are used to charge the house battery bank too, right? How is that achieved then, given the difference in voltage?

Thanks in advance for shedding some light

Thomas
--
GARULFO
Amel 54 #122

--
Nick Carter
Broker Associate since 1990

Jack Lingo Realtor
1240 Kings Highway
Lewes, DE  19958
302-645-2207

Delaware law requires real estate salespersons and brokers
provide you this CIS (Consumer Information Statement) at the
earlier of your first scheduled appointment or the first showing
of a property.  If your first contact is via fax or email, this CIS
must be supplied with any other papers sent by electronic transmission.