Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] GPS signal loss
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 3:56 PM

Alex,
It
probably has a TNC connector on the end of the wire. It
might be BNC, but I doubt it. Google TNC and you will see
that the connection can be removed from the wire end. You
may be able to leave the current wire in place and use
either TNC or BNC male-female connections or connect with a
barrel connector.

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander
Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island,
TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On May 24, 2017 15:34,
"Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@rocketmail.com
[amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
wrote:

Good afternoon Bill,

Thanks so much! I know exactly which one it is!!!

Actually mine is on the angled bar that connects the 2
mizzen back stay (also where I have the sat phone antenna).

The wire goes into the lazarette, haven’t look further.

Next I need to see what type of connection it is, if it is a
simple plug or something else.

Thanks again!

Sincerely, Alexandre

------------------------------ --------------

On Wed, 5/24/17, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@svbebe.com
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.
com> wrote:

To: "amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.
com" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.
com>

Date: Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 2:59 PM

Alex,

You do not sound stupid!

The Furuno

GPA017 - GPS antennas look like a mushroom which is
about

10cm round and 6cm high, The normal location is on the
aft

part of the port side rail, near the point that the rail

turns to go across the stern. If your boat has not been

modified, it will look like this one on Ebay, except the

blue paint is faded: http://www.ebay.com/
itm/Furuno-GPA017-GPA17-GPS- Antenna-with-10m-Cable-for-
GP32-WAAS-GPS-Navigator-/ 361434403494?hash=
item54272b52a6:g: WGAAAOSwHQ9WUXDx

If you boat has been modified, it

may be relocated almost anywhere, or it may look like

this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/
Furuno-GPA017-GPA17-GPS- Antenna-with-10m-Cable-for-
GP32-WAAS-GPS-Navigator-/ 361434403494?hash=
item54272b52a6:g: WGAAAOSwHQ9WUXDx

Either of the above work...the first

is the original, the second is a good backup, but some

people use it as primary.

Since I had two Furuno GPSs, I had

two antennas mounted on the aft port rail. But, I also
had

one of the little black cubes (2nd above) fro emergency

backup.

Best,

CW

Bill RouseAdmiral, Texas NavyCommander

Emeritus

Amel School

720 Winnie

StreetGalveston Island, Texas 77550

USA832-380-4970

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at

2:36 PM, Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@rocketmail.com

[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.
com>

wrote:

Good afternoon Bill

I hate to sound stupid, but where is located the antenna?

I also lost boat data on the radar display (no longer

indicate speed, etc.) I thought it was a loose
connection,

but may be it is the antenna…

Thanks in advance, sincerely, Alexandre

------------------------------ --------------

To: "amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.

Date: Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 9:10 AM

Gary,

The most common problem with Furuno

GPSs is the antenna fails. I went through 3 antennas in

11

years. Always had a spare on board...they are less than

$100USD.

Have you

tried replacing the antenna?

I also had the internal battery fail

in one of the two Furuno GPSs we had on #387. It is

soldered

in place. I had a Furuno guy replace it.