Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Procedure to unfurl and fuel the mizzen on a SM

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Willem,

When your SM was new, it came with three winch handles. One of them was short. Use the short one on the mizzen furler and a long one on the outhaul. You will get accustomed to this.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On May 25, 2017 14:19, "'Willem J. Kroes' kavanga@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I appreciated the help that was offered about my small problem. Today I managed to get all of the mizzen out and again inside the small mast and practised the right procedure a few times. But pulling alone to get the sail out does not work. I need to do it with two winch handles, but keeping the boom low and tensioning the outhaul at the same pace as bits of sail coming out will do the trick. Thanks a lot!

Willem Kroes
SM 2000 # 351 Kavanga

Op 25 mei 2017 1:06 a.m. schreef "Danny and Yvonne SIMMS simms@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>:

I agree, the same applies when furling. Allowing the boom to rise when furling will lead to a jam up.
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

On 25 May 2017 at 10:57 "greatketch@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Another suggestion...

With in mast furlers it is common to have the upper part of the sail fail to unroll if the boom is allowed to rise too high when unfurling.

If you do not have a vang, try keeping just a little bit of tension on mizzen sheet to keep the boom down just a bit.  I'll bet that gets your sail all the way out.

Bill Kinney
SM160 Harmonie
Nanny Cay, BVI