Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Procedure to unfurl and fuel the mizzen on a SM

greatketch@...

Yes!  Using two 10" winch handles to unfurl the mizzen equals occasionally smashed fingers, at least with my level of coordination!

I am not sure how common it is, or if it was standard factory rigging, but our boat has "vangs" to control the height of the booms when furling.  Just lengths of no-adjustable three strand line from the base of the mast to a shackle on the boom.  They are of a length that they allow the boom to rise as high as you would ever need for sail control, but no higher.

They mean that I can just totally release the sheet when using the furler.  The boom is totally free to move horizontally, but can not rise too high to cause difficulty with the rolling or unrolling sail.

Bill Kinney
SM160 Harmonie
Nanny Cay, Tortola, BVI