Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Quiz: Mystery boat lines

Stephen Davis

Ok, we officially owe both Olivier and Alex a beer!

I bet that's exactly what they are, another clever Amel thing. I suspect when the prior owner re-rigged, he  didn't put the original lines back up with the new rigging, and these are the 25-year-old original lines we found buried in the depths of a cabinet.

After going outside and looking up, we do have some sort of lines up there to support the blocks through which the downwind poles' topping lifts are run. But, looking up from below them, I can't exactly tell how those lines are attached to the shrouds above the spreaders. Knowing they've been replaced, though, we'll put it on our "to do" list to check out next time Steve goes up the mast.

Thanks to both Olivier and Alex, and we'll save the beers until our paths cross.

Liz and Steve Davis
S/V Aloha, SM 72
Currently in Aruba

On May 24, 2017, at 14:40, Beaute Olivier atlanticyachtsurvey@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello Liz and Steve,

these lines were supposed to be rigged at the end of the first spreaders on main mast. They were supporting a pulley that drives and supports the poles topping lifts.
Next question is : How can you rigg the topping lift now?
If you have replaced your standing rigging with an ACMO one, you probably got top shrouds or intermediate shrouds with a small swaged part that is supposed to support the pulleys that bear the topping lifts.

The big loop was set around the shroud and above the spreader, the small loop was carrying the pulley's shackle.
A lot of SM still have their pole's topping lifts supported this way.

Look up and tell me what you see.
Too bad for the beer, I will be soon in Martinique but will not go further to Aruba.

Olivier.

On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 5:14 PM, "flyboyscd@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Does anyone know what these two identical lines in the photo linked below are used for?

Hints:

1) They're each approx 5 feet long.
2) The loop on one end is larger than the loop on the other end.
3) The larger of the two loops on each line is stained slightly brick-ish or orange-pink.
4) They're from our 1992-vintage SM.

Winner gets appreciation, satisfaction in the knowledge that they did a good deed, and a cold beer next time they're anchored near Aloha.

Liz and Steve Davis
S/V Aloha, SM72
Currently in Aruba.