Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Maramu Helm seat template and wheel dimensions

James Alton

Clay,

    The maximum length of the seat is:  673mm or 26 1/2"

    The maximum width of the seat is:  288 mm or 11 5/16”

    The maximum height or thickness is:  123mm or about 4 7/8”

    The height or thickness away from the thicker section at the pole varies from 38-42 mm

Photos available if needed.

Best of luck,

James Alton
SV Sueno,  Maramu #220

On Jun 4, 2017, at 6:17 AM, James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Clay,

    I am in Florida and my boat is in Sardinia currently but I do have the mold at my shop.  I will get back to you later today (EST) with the requested dimensions.    If you would like some photos of the mold to help visualize the shape and how the dimensions were taken, just send me your email address.  There is quite a bit of depth on the side that fastens to the vertical post in case that matters, so I will provide the depth measurements as well.

   We are in a similar situation, trying to figure out how to bring the things that we need for Sueno in our luggage. (grin)

   Very kind of you to offer the wheel template.  We just bought the boat last season and have a pretty big list of things to do such as replacing the rigging so don’t feel pressured to get that to me.

Best,

James Alton
SV Sueno,  Maramu #220

On Jun 3, 2017, at 11:55 PM, claysparkes@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks very much James.

I'm in Australia, so probably don't have time for the mold to be shipped, but if you are near your boat or the mold, can you give me the maximum width and length of what the seat cover (including foam cushion) would need to be. The old cover has eyelets beneath the seats and also on the two flaps that lace around the upright SS tube (for tension).  If I can get overall dimensions I can cut the hide that I've purchased down to an approximate oversize and save some weight in the luggage.

Same with the dimensions of the wheel.  The total circumference of the wheel, and 'wrap around' circumference of the tube will allow me to cut strips (and spoke covers) that I can then pack and bring.

Once I am at the boat and have perfected the template I can send it to you, or if I have extra leather, ship pre-cut design off to you. (but I may need several attempts to get it neat :-) )

Thanks again,

Warm regards,

Clay

SV Fly
Maramu #260

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

Firstly a big THANK YOU to all in this group. My first post after a long time lurking, soaking up your knowledge and wisdom. You make being part of the Amel family very special.

I have a 1989 Maramu #260 with the original helm seat. The seat cover has perished and I plan to replace it with suede type leather, and also attempt to re-create the leather cover on the wheel.

If any Maramu owners are able to post the following:

Helm Seat dimensions; so that I can pre-cut a nd perhaps sew the new cover before I return to the boat this month.
Facing forward, the width of the broad side of the cushion on the port side,
the length of the long sides, a description of the angle of the taper where the seat joins the stainless steel centre support pole, distance from port side to centre pole and also the height of the cushion sides. (I hope this makes sense)

Helm wheel:  I need the outside circumference of the wheel, the diameter of the stainless tube, and the inner circumference between the three spokes. These should allow me to cut approximate pieces to take to the boat and hone my sewing skills. :-)

Any help with this will be really appreciated, and will allow me to carry even more boat bits in my luggage.

Warm regards,

Clay Sparkes

Maramu #260 1989