Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Eberspacher Heater

Ian Shepherd

Hi Eric,

as far as I know I have an Airtronic D5LC model. I can't remember what was fitted to my first Amel in 2000, but it was about the same time that Ian took delivery of his boat. It is a shame that Amel don't buy the units with the diagnostic controller, but maybe that is not an option for them at initial purchase? Regarding whether I have a silencer fitted, I really don't know. I suspect not if it's an option. I did take the whole unit out when troubleshooting, (unnecessarily) and I think that the pipe behind the heat shield was a straight through stainless pipe. Do you have a photo of the silencer?

By the way, I made a typo regarding the fans. They are Caframo Siroccos and not Cafranio. I see that West Marine have them on offer at $73.99 in 12V or 24V versions.

Crusader is in excellent shape thanks,  with no faults. My water maker membranes are now in their 8th year, the prop-shaft seals are perfect after 7 years use since changing the seal bush to stainless, and the modified bow thruster has needed no maintenance during the past 6 years other than greasing the drive shaft splines annually with Corrosion Block grease. The new style bimini has transformed the sailing experience with lots of cool air flowing through the cockpit and more headroom.

I also up-rated my solar panels to 250W each and now electricity is abundant. My Air Marine 403 wind generator mounted on top of the mizzen mast suffered a casing failure in 50 knot winds and had to be replaced with anew Air-X. (I think that the swivel seized causing a big side load on the casting). Regulation seems much better with the new model and no more flutter braking!

I am off to Marmaris in Turkey soon for a haul out with the intention of altering the plimsoll line to match the waterline, so saving lot's of hull cleaning around the rear half of the boat. Whilst out I will change the prop-shaft seals as a precaution, and also the grease in the bow thruster housing, together with the shaft seal that is running on a stainless sleeve. The sealed bearings in the thruster are still running very smoothly.

Yes Eric, I have been quiet on this site for a while. To be frank I became highly pissed off with wildly inaccurate accusations by two members, unfortunately both from your side of the pond. If you want to know more, I will email you privately.

Hope that Kimberlite is in good shape too.

Regards and fair winds.

Ian SM 414 Crusader - Cyprus

On 05/06/2017 07:43, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

Ian,

Great write up and link. I installed the espar in kimberlite last fall.

The older D5 units have a separate control box and I did not know when Amel switched over to  the electronic model. It seems that we all have the newer unit.

When I was In Ian Jenkins boat Pen Azen he had the older unit, thus my question to him about which unit he has. I visited a number of Amels with factory fitted heaters and did a lot of research to get the install perfect.

Do you have a silencer on your exhaust of your heater?

It’s been a long time since you were on the board. How are you, and your boat?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376