Leece-Neville 175 Amp Alternator

Ian Shepherd

Recently I thought I had a problem with my 175 Amp alternator giving no charge. I contacted Prestolite Leece-Neville by email and found them more than helpful. They pointed out that the number on the label on the topside of the alternator is NOT the model number. See text below.

Dear sir,

The alternator reference is 8SC3009ZA (8RL3021 / 105-351 is the regulator reference).
Please find attached the part listing and service manual.

The current part number for a replacement regulator is 8RL3024S.
Brush box replacement is K185103972S.
A complete alternator to latest design / build spec, should you require it, is now part number 8SC3157V.

I shall upload the parts list and the service manual to the 'Files' section later today. It may be useful to someone down the line.

It turned out that there was nothing wrong with my alternator. What had happened was that when I changed the Yanmar fuel filter, I has accidentally dislodged the plug that goes to the white engine mounted relay, thus disabling the field current circuit! A happy ending!

Ian Shepherd SM2K 414 Crusader (2003) Larnaca Cyprus