Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Introduction

Anne-Sophie Schmitt <nearlynothing@...>

Hi, Steve,
I had Maramu #29 from 1985-2000, when I bought a
SuperMaramu. The old Maramu proved rock solid and gave
us 15 fantastic years with absolutely minimal
maintenance. It was no doubt a plus that #29 had been
Mr. Amel's personal boat and maintained by the yard
when I bought her used in '85. I felt I got a "new"
boat. If your #25 was equally well maintained, you
should have some good luck. Over the years we did very
few upgrades. We did have the Nirvana furling for the
headsail, which the old boats didn't have. We changed
the wiring for the diesel cabin heater (greatly
simplifying it) and thereafter it ran pefectly,
whereas prior to that it was shaky at best. The diesel
was fantastic: Never, never missed a beat.
Mechanically this boat was totally solid. We had the
normal maintenance items (new plexi for windows, etc.)
but overall remarkably little. The boat was kept in
northern waters, thus avoided the killing sun of the
hotter areas, but on the other hand spent very cold,
icy, snowy winters exposed and did not suffer visibly
for it. Overall, an extraordinary boat. Do check
carefully the condition of the masts/booms and
rigging. We had a sudden/total boom failure in '99
which doubtless was our inadvertance: we believed the
boat indestructible and did not properly check these
things anymore. Best of luck. Claude Roessiger
--- Steve Hoefel <hoefels@...> wrote:
Hello All,
I recent purchased an Amel Maramu, hull #25. She
has been well kept and
continuously upgraded by her previous owner. The
boat is currently in
transit to my location on the island of Crete,
Greece. I look forward to
exchanging ideas and information with the other
members of the group. My
name is Steve and look forward to getting to know
eachof you. Until then,
fair winds and good anchorages. Steve

http://autos.yahoo.com