Re: Leece-Neville 175 Amp Alternator

claysparkes@...

Hi all,

I've just recently purchased two of these Alternator Regulators http://arduinoalternatorregulator.blogspot.com

from Al Thomason.  I'm yet to receive them, and they won't be fitted until late in the month, but they seem a cost effective way of alleviating the concerns that Alan has written about, and that I had regarding my Maramu's 1 x 55 A and 1 x 70A 28yo 'dumb' Valeo alternators.

I had changed the battery bank to Exide Gel, and needed to optimise the charging profile.

At $80 USD each plus freight (and seemingly comparable to Balmar et al) I hope I've just bought cheap insurance.

I was really impressed by Al's support - he went beyond my expectations.

Cheers
Clay
Maramu #260 1989
Boat's in Spain, I'm in Oz

---In amelyachtowners@..., <divanz620@...> wrote :

Hello Ian,

The regulator doesn't carry the 175 Amps, it just tells the alternator what to do. The current comes from the alternator. Any 3-stage regulator can control any alternator. The regulkator just modulates the field current in the alternator which dermines the alternator's output.
The current that flows, no matter where it comes from, into the batteries, is dependent on the current acceptance capacity of the batteries, up to the limit of the device delivering the current.
We have AGM batteries which have a much higher acceptance rate than flooded LA batteries, so if you don;t have AGMs then the limitations of the current rating of the Leece Neville alternator may not be an issue, but its built-in single stage voltage regulator will be if you use it for a long time.
Cheers
Alan
Elyze SM437