Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Eberspacher Heater

Ian Shepherd

Hello Bill,

once in a while I run my Eberspacher off a can filled with kerosene to clean it out. As our boats only have one fuel tank, this avoids diluting the diesel used for the main engine.

Regarding Duane's problem, I would not immediately jump to the conclusion that the ECU has failed. Duane should try someone else's ECU if he can first, rather than spend a lot of money for a spare you don't need. It's very easy to access and swap. I still think he should listen for any sign's of relay operation during the self test phase. If the relay operates, then chances are that the ECU may not be the problem as the ECU commands the test sequence. Incidentally I was chatting with another Espar owner yesterday who told me that he also had a fault on the relay board at the back end of the heater unit. This board is about one fifth of the price of an ECU.

Cheers

Ian SM2K 414 (2003) Crusader Cyprus

On 05/06/2017 21:07, william_maffei@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

a side note about Espar Heaters...

I have performed a lot of service on these units and I will say the amount of usage on these is critical to their operation. One should almost always consider "stepping it up" according to size. For example, a vessel of our size , it is recommended (hydronic) M8 or M10 units however, stepping it up to the M12 will ensue this unit is not running 24 hours a day to keep up with the heating demands. One more example, I helped install a unit last fall and by the end of the winter the customer was complaining that it was not working properly. It was making a lot of noise and bellowing white smoke. It had over 5300 hours on it and needed a complete overhaul to remove the carbon build up in the firing chamber. These units should be removed and sent off for service once a season if hours exceed 2500. One more thing that helps these run better is if you cut the fuel with kerosene. The general rule is 10% however, it is not recommended you run your main at this time because some of the lubricating properties of diesel are diluted.
These are DC units and voltages are always critical during operation. Low voltage will also cause carbon build up and failures.

Duane, I agree with Ian your ECU is the likely culprit.

Cheers all,

Bill Maffei
SM #195
It's all Good