Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Maramu 1989 #261 Fire Damage

James Alton

It is true that damage to composite structures can generally be repaired.  Composite aircraft for instance can be restored to the original strength after being severely damaged without adding weight but it requires the correct techniques, materials and a high degree of skill.  Hopefully you are aware that the construction of the Amel hull is unique in a number of ways as compared to conventional hulls.  This means that traditional fiberglass repair methods will not yield a structure equal to the original strength, especially without adding considerable weight.  The other challenge I see will be in preventing any loss of hull shape when such a large area of the hull has been cut away as well as creating accurate replacement hull and deck panels that are of the same or better strength as the original hull.  I am curious if you have a general outline of how you plan to proceed with the repairs.  
James Alton
SV Sueno, Maramu #220

Sent from my Galaxy S®III

-------- Original message --------
From: "wug6a5q4e3m5f6uquswx7k5iz6yey5nvag4aghuv@... [amelyachtowners]"
Date:06/08/2017 2:14 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Maramu 1989 #261 Fire Damage

Hello, I purchased Eyes of the World. She will sail again!  I plan on taking this boat around the world.  I have 25 of experience with fiberglass boat repairs and this boat can be restored to strong as original when done right. This is a very extensive repair but I have the experience and skill to do it right. I have restored worse off boats with larger damaged area.   I have a large budget for the repair and it wont be a quick fix or cosmetic repair for sure!  The boat won't be for sale.  The entire repair will be documented start to finish, including all my future travels. Did you name the boat or was it a previous owner? Im a Grateful Dead fan so I couldn't be happier with the name.  

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.