Re: Instalation SSB

greatketch@...

Just to be clear, the triatic is ONLY good as the secondary DSC receiver on a radio like the 802 that needs a separate receive-only antenna for its DSC system to work.  As Alan points out, it would be terrible as a main antenna. It is too short for for some of the lower frequency bands, and, unless you put the tuner at the top of the mast, you would lose virtually all of your transmitting power just getting to the top of the mast.

Since the DSC antenna is receive only, I'd bet that just tying to any piece of ungrounded rigging would be just as good as the triatic.  When I installed an 802 on my old boat I used a 16 foot (3.5 m) piece of 14AWG wire hoisted in the rig for the DSC antenna, and it work like a charm.  Harmonie came to us with a 710, which doesn't have the DSC function so no secondary antenna is used.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Highlands, NJ

---In amelyachtowners@..., <divanz620@...> wrote :

Interesting...
We have an ICOM710 with an AT130 tuner mounted in the hanging locker at the aft end of the pilot berth. Our antenna is the main mast backstay. The antenna lead goes through the head access to the base of the mizzen mast and up the mast a few feet and out a hole to connect with the insulated main backstay. It works well.
We initially tried the triatic stay, as the Furuno weather fax was connected to it, but it was worse than useless with the ICOM SSB, so when we re-rigged the boat a couple of years ago, the insulated triatic stay went west.
Interestingly, did you know, that none of the Super Maramu rigging is connected to ground ?
So apart from the risk of a crew member getting zapped, connecting the tuner antenna wire to any part of the standing rigging would work a treat!
We insulated the main backstay to avoid problems with crew getting zapped !
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437