Re: No Stop, then No Start on Yanmar 4JH3-HTE

rossirossix4

Does anyone have the part number or specs or source for the diodes that are used with the Yanmar?  I don't plan to spend the $300+ for a spare fuel cut solenoid and I'm told that failure is extremely rare for these but the diodes sound like something to have. I'm also thinking the CorrosionX method might work on a bad solenoid.

Related--On page 23 of the Operation Manual for the 4JH3's , Yanmar warns that "When the engine..has not been used for a long period of time perform cranking before starting to distribute oil to all parts.  Using an engine which has been stored for a long period of time without the cranking procedure may result in engine seizure."  They then instruct "While pushing the stop button, turn the key to the START position and hold it....Do not take your hand off the button.  Continue cranking the engine for about 5 seconds, checking for abnormal sounds.

This does not work with our boats.  I think it is related to the special wiring of our isolated engines.  The engine starts if you crank it while holding the red stop button in.  My previous owner had installed a manual fuel cutoff cable that goes to the red stop lever on the Yanmar.  The spring loaded pull (red) is on the cockpit floor under the helm chair next to the starboard chair support and  the cable is out of the way passing over the shaft brake cylinder.  Its a stretch, but when our engine has not been used for more than 2 weeks (e.g. on the hard) It allows me to perform the procedure. Of course you can do the same thing with 2 people but it is useful.  We had a problem with the solenoid not shutting down the engine and it came in handy.  The problem was solved by spraying CorrosionX into the button crevice while holding the red button vertically.

BTW--From the CorrosionX site https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4z8QMgTEA4
CorrosionX is now also marketing a grease.

Bob, KAIMI SM429
Rovinj, Croatia--No TowboatUS here