Onan Zinc and Outdated Marine Electronics Repairs

pstas2003 <no_reply@...>

Hello to all.

Recently, I went to change the zinc on the Onan Generator, and when I unbolted the plug, I found the old zinc corroded in place.  At first I thought I would drill it out and replace it with a new one. Then the thought occurred to me, “why not just wait until it dissolves on its own”?

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

I also wanted to pass along some information.

Recently I began to have trouble with an old Raymarine RL80C Chart Plotter.  I contacted Dan Gerhardt who had been recommended on this forum, but he doesn’t repair chart plotters.  He recommended I call Steve Senft at Jaytron in Florida (steve at marineelectronics dot com - 941-748-1941). After trouble shooting things on the phone with him, I ended up sending the unit to him.  Unfortunately, after spending a number of hours on it, it was determined it was too far gone.  However, he sold me a used unit he had in house for about the same cost as the repair would have been.

Based on my experience, I can highly recommend him for those of you who have some old equipment that you may not be ready to replace just yet, and need repair assistance.  He spent a good deal of time with me on the phone and via email, and helped me get what I needed for a very fair price.  He also moved me up in line so I would have a unit back in my hands, in time to travel back to the boat this weekend.

I hope someone will find this information useful and thank you in advance for any responses regarding the Onan Zinc.

All the best,

Paul Stascavage
SM #466 - s/v Rita Kathryn
Saint Lucia