Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Can 24V circuit be available during batteries replacement?

Sv Garulfo

Thanks Bill,

So I asked MasterVolt about using my ChargeMaster chargers as power supply only and I various answers:

In France, the guy said no. He said the chargers would suffer from being used that way and that the batteries act as a buffer for current picks and troughs. He does not recommend it. He said the charging cycle wouldn't be suitable for loads either.

Next, in the UK, the guy said yes, but do not exceed 70% of the charger current capacity. No need to setup the charger in a specific mode (re: Alexander's reply with respect to his own system). Without batteries, the charging cycle will play in 17mins and stabilise the voltage after that.

My conclusions are:
I'll follow Bill's recommendation as it is the safe way in the absence of a definitive answer.

I don't think MasterVolt's answers are completely contradictory. I would probably be happy to do it to run lights, pumps and a fridge fir a limited period of time, but not the bow thruster!

I wish MasterVolt had a clear power supply mode like Alexander's system.

Thanks

Fair winds

On Thu, 22 Jun 2017 at 14:40, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

The answer depends on the batteries and your charger.

And if I were you, I would leave one pair of batteries connected while you change the remainder, then change that one pair last.

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Jun 22, 2017 03:37, "svgarulfo@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Can the 24V circuit be available if the chargers are on, when batteries have been removed -for example to be replaced and things get delayed...?

Thanks

BR

Thomas

--