Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Onan Zinc and Outdated Marine Electronics Repairs

Mark Erdos

Hi Paul,

Thanks for sharing the Raymarine contact information. It’s always nice to have a list of good repair guys.

Regarding the Onan. It sounds as though the zinc separated from the brass bolt. If the zinc is just floating about inside the heat exchanger, then it is not doing much good in the way of preventing corrosion. Also, it could impair the flow of sea water and cause the genset to run hot. I would remove it.

There are removable caps on the ends of the heat exchanger. You should buy new seals for these ends if you plan to remove them. Once, the end caps are removed, you should be able to remove the zinc. You will probably have to remove the heat exchanger to work on the port side end. This is not very difficult to do. And, this would be a good time to properly clean out the heat exchanger at a local radiator shop.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising – St Croix, USVI

www.creampuff.us