Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amel propeller

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi again Chris, I got so excited about the rpm ,I forgot to tell you that if the prop with a missing blade is a auto prop you can buy new blades for it from Bruntons the manufacturer. Either singly or all of them.
Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

Sent from my Vodafone Smart

On 24 Jun 2017 23:51, "Chris Shiels rettirc@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

This is all now getting confusing!!!!
Max Prop, Auto Prop, c-drives, fixed prop, let me throw Spurs into the equation.

The boat we are buying is a 1998, SM 224.

What prop would have come standard from the factory at this time?

The original propeller had one of the blades depart. I believe that this prop is located at a local machine shop....if they can find it.  Aka: minus one blade.  I think I need to find out what this prop was before I proceed any further?

There is a fixed pitched prop fitted at the moment, I imagine this is the factory item, however I was happy to see there was a rope cutter fitted also.

I shall do a little research and try to request a picture of the original prop.

During sea trial, we could not get maximum rpm out of the engine with the fixed prop, only 2800rpm, I need to investigate why.  This was after pressure washing hull and cleaning the prop.  I suspect it could be blocked after the turbo, or the turbo needs an overhaul.  I shall investigate this later.

We shall be moving to the boat (Thailand) later next month and want to organise as much as possible before we get there.

I hope I don't abuse the forum, however I have now met 3 separate Amel owner and looking forward to meeting more.

There are so many other questions I have but trying to do as much of my own research first.

Regards
Chris

On 25 Jun 2017, at 3:40 AM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Exactly what I expected, and for the reason I imagined. :)  The Autoprop blades have a couple more "degrees of freedom" than other feathering props!

Bill K