Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amel propeller

Hi Chris ,
If you have the 78hp Volvo , which I guess you do , Amel governed it down to 60hp  ,2800 revs , because above that you are just burning fuel to no effect . At 2800 with a clean hull and prop on a flat calm day you should get over 8 k , maybe 8.5

Ian and Judy , Pen Azen ,SM 302 , Italy

On 25 Jun 2017, at 00:12, Chris Shiels rettirc@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

This is all now getting confusing!!!!
Max Prop, Auto Prop, c-drives, fixed prop, let me throw Spurs into the equation.

The boat we are buying is a 1998, SM 224.

What prop would have come standard from the factory at this time?

The original propeller had one of the blades depart. I believe that this prop is located at a local machine shop....if they can find it.  Aka: minus one blade.  I think I need to find out what this prop was before I proceed any further?

There is a fixed pitched prop fitted at the moment, I imagine this is the factory item, however I was happy to see there was a rope cutter fitted also.

I shall do a little research and try to request a picture of the original prop.

During sea trial, we could not get maximum rpm out of the engine with the fixed prop, only 2800rpm, I need to investigate why.  This was after pressure washing hull and cleaning the prop.  I suspect it could be blocked after the turbo, or the turbo needs an overhaul.  I shall investigate this later.

We shall be moving to the boat (Thailand) later next month and want to organise as much as possible before we get there.

I hope I don't abuse the forum, however I have now met 3 separate Amel owner and looking forward to meeting more.

There are so many other questions I have but trying to do as much of my own research first.

Regards
Chris

On 25 Jun 2017, at 3:40 AM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Exactly what I expected, and for the reason I imagined. :)  The Autoprop blades have a couple more "degrees of freedom" than other feathering props!

Bill K