Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Aft Cabin Air Conditioning Tripping 220 Volt Panel Fuse & marina

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Alex,

I think I understand that as soon as you turn on the A/C, the main 30amp Ground Fault Interrupt (GFI) breaker trips (on the side of the 220V breaker panel). Your shore power also has a GFI breaker.

If this is true, that particular symptom probably has nothing to do with the the compressor, or any part on the Climma Compact 9 unit for the aft cabin.

Here is why:
  • When you turn ON any of your AC units, the only powered device inside the Compact 9 is the countdown timer. It will be the only thing powered until the countdown expires which is probably 10-20 seconds.
  • When you turn ON any of your AC units the pump relay box and the pump should be immediately powered.
Therefore:
If the 30 amp Ground Fault Breaker trips during the timer countdown, your symptom is most likely caused by a ground fault, and the most likely place for a ground fault is at the Calpeda BCM20E pump, or less likely the pump relay box.

This is what I would investigate:
  1. Is the mechanical seal leaking and running inside the motor? (most likely)
  2. Is the capacitor good? If you don't know replace it.
  3. Did the pump motor get wet?
I hope this helps.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 6:55 AM, Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Good morning John, Mark, Eric and Francisco and thank you for your replies,

Based on what you wrote, I suspect a short and a dead compressor…

Going to test the Capacitors, but how to “discharge them” prior to testing?

Eric, I did not really understand the: “if the AC switch is off at the thermostat does it still trip the breaker?”

Thanks in advance, sincerely, Alexandre

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Aft Cabin Air Conditioning Tripping 220 Volt Panel Fuse & marina
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, June 26, 2017, 9:24 PM

Alexandre.
if the AC switch is off at the thermostat does it still
trip the breaker?
The breaker on the AC panel side is a quick blow
circuit breaker, If there is a short it will
trip before the diruptor. If the AC is on at the
thermostat and the circuit still trips the breaker,
Check the continuity of the compressor to ground. If
there is a short to ground the compressor is dead.
Fair Winds,
Eric
sm 376

----- Original
Message -----
From: "Alexandre
Uster von
Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners]"
Date: Monday, June 26, 2017 5:19 pm
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Aft Cabin Air
Conditioning Tripping 220 Volt Panel Fuse & marina
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com

> Good afternoon,
>
> Today, I hear the
fuse of the 220 Volt Panel tripping (the one
> behind the panel).
found out the fuse of the marina also trip.

> After running tests,
the cause is the Aft Cabin Air Conditioning
> (which I have been using non stop for 9
days).

> Running
the salon does not trip anything.

> What could be the cause?
> How to diagnostic and solve the issue?
>
> Did I use too much
the air conditioning?
> How come the
Diruptor did not trip, but the 220 Volt Panel did?
> How come I trip the marina fuse?
>
> Thanks in advance.

> Sincerely,
Alexandre