Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Aft Cabin Air Conditioning Tripping 220 Volt Panel Fuse & marina

Ben and Gayle Super Maramu #347

La Bella Vita was in Nanny Cay Tortola running on 60 hertz for 13 years without blown capacitors on front cabin or main cabin ACs.  And units were used a lot in that very hot marina.  Compressor failed on rear cabin unit five years ago and was replaced with Marine Air 220v/60hz unit. The latter runs fine on 50hz generator.

Ben
Ben and Gayle
S/V La Bella Vita
SM #347

On Jun 29, 2017, at 9:15 AM, Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Good morning Duane,

Coastal Climate Control says that it is ok to run their 50 Hz air conditioning on 60 Hz, just will burn more often the capacitors.

I don’t know about the Dometic one, since Eric has one, he can answer when he uses shore power (often 60 Hz) or his generator (50 Hz).

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Port de Gustavia, Saint Barthélémy, FWI

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Aft Cabin Air Conditioning Tripping 220 Volt Panel Fuse & marina
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Thursday, June 29, 2017, 7:57 AM

From Alexandres photo, the unit is marked 220V
50hz, yet we can plug these into US power at 60 hz.  I just
find it odd that they don't mark it with both
frequencies...or did Amel modify it somehow?
The Dometic system that Eric
mentions must have the same 50/60hz ability, but on the web
site they list different units for 50hz vs 60hz, there
isn't one that will handle either
frequency.
understand some appliances are not frequency sensitive, but
I thought a compressor would be?
Just curious...

DuaneWanderer,
SM#477.