Exhaust water temperature sensor 7MDKAL

svperegrinus@yahoo.com

Hello,

Our sensor, marked F230 402-370 0013, was found failed (one of the wire terminals broken off) during an Onan inspection in Italy, and the part would have taken weeks for express delivery from Onan Netherlands.

Here in Marmaris, the part is available at the Onan shop for a "modest" $125. But I have two questions:

1.  If I install it myself, is there a need for a thermal paste or some other exotic procedure other than just screwing the new sensor where the old one was?

2.  How do you "test" such a sensor?  Obviously its absence has not been detected by the genset, which runs like a champ, so after installing the shiny new part, how do I even know if the new part is doing anything other than sitting pretty?

I think a functioning sensor is important as otherwise an overheating situation will not be detected and the motor will burn out and possibly cause a fire.

Thoughts?  Comments?  Thanks in advance!

Peregrinus

SM2K N. 350 (2002)

Marmaris, Tk