Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Volvo D2-75 for a SuperMaramu

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Ian
Me again. Top speed. Max rpm 3000. So similar speed. Cruising. Same again. It is driving through the same gearbox. Same reduction so at any given  rpm same speed. Doesn't seem to be affected as much by prop fouling. It has to be pretty fouled to reduce revs. Of course speed is affected even if the revs are not.
Regards (hope I've got it all this time)
Danny

Sent from my Vodafone Smart

On 2 Jul 2017 1:12 p.m., "Ian & Judy ianjudyjenkins@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Danny,

Very interested to read your email and would love to hear more. 

With the exhaust on the other side were you still able to connect to the original stainless muffle box ?

How accessible is the seawater pump ? it's good that it no longer sits above the engine.

Are you sure that the D2-75 is lighter than the TMD ? The specs I have seen suggest much the same weight.

We usually cruise at about  6.3-6.5k if motoring any distance--often for many hours in the Med. That means about 17-1900 revs, depending on the sea condition.   How does that compare ?

Top speed with the TMD in flat calm with a clean bottom and prop is about 8.3, 8.4k at 2800revs.  How does this compare ?

Do you know at what revs the turbo kicks in ? We religiously give our TMD a blast every 12 hours or so. Waste of diesel, but apparently it keeps the  turbo happy.

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302 Greece

From: amelyachtowners@... <amelyachtowners@...> on behalf of simms@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: 02 July 2017 07:26:53
To: Ian & Judy ianjudyjenkins@... [amelyachtowners]
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Volvo D2-75 for a SuperMaramu

Hi Ian.
You may have noticed a while ago my post re damage caused by over turboing the tmd22 when the waste gate freezes. It caused the death of our tmd but only after much expense based on bad advice. We installed the d2-75. Good fit. Had to make a little spacer and then it bolted neatly to the angle bars the engine bolts to. The exhaust is on the opposite side, no trouble. It is a turbo engine, 50hp turboed to 75.
A lighter engine, you can see the difference on the waterline. Good torque, will pull the rated max revs even with fouling on the prop. If you decide to go that way I can give you more details
WARNING. Amel told me not to put the 110 in as the c drive in mine is not built for that HP. The later models that were fitted with the 110 had an upgraded c drive. You have been warned
Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

Sent from my Vodafone Smart

On 27 Jun 2017 17:04, "Ian & Judy ianjudyjenkins@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi All,

I am sorry to say that we have had a poor experience with TPS, the Volvo agents in Hyeres. Suffice it say that last winter they made a meal out a major service on our 17 year old TMD22P, and 150 hours later we still lack confidence in an engine which didn't miss a beat before they attended to it.

I am 70  ( Judy remains 21 ) and God willing  can   look forward to another ten years or so of gentle cruising, but I am too busy now to have an unreliable engine.

So, ridiculous expense though it may sound, we are  thinking of swapping our old engine for a new one. Volvo have recommended the D2-75, 75 hp, no electrics beyond the starter motor ( a huge plus in my book )

Its feet and drive connection are said to be a good fit for the old engine.

The alternative would be the D3-110, but we have never been short of power with the TMD22P, which although 78hp is governed down to 60 hp by Amel. Also, I like the extra range that the smaller engine would give.

Has anyone had experience of a D2-75 in an SM ?

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Greece  

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.