Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Roller Furling Questions

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Craig

I too note the points re sheer. However  as you note stainless screws are being used which obviously have high sheer strength. Monel rivets sheer strength is up there with stain less and have two great advantages. No corrosion as they are inert, and ease of use. That is no drilling and tapping of threads.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 05 July 2017 at 08:47 "sangaris@...[amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Danny,
Then again, it may be that the Captain purposely used softer Aluminum rivets as a safety so they would sheer before anything else broke. Kind of like a sheer pin on an (older) outboard motor prop. Several of us have posited that idea, although I don't think we've gotten a definitive reply from someone like Olivier Beaute. In any case, it seems a reasonable and conservative approach rather than harder stuff like monel and stainless steel Allen screws. (Yes, I did read the posts that Amel Matinique is using the ss Allen screws. Lots of ways to skin a cat, I guess.)
Cheers,
Craig Briggs, SN#68 Sangaris

---In amelyachtowners@..., <simms@...> wrote :

Hi.

If you use rivers monel are the best. Inert. That is no corrosion and very strong, Ali are  far too soft and sheer easily.

Regards

Danny

DM ,299

Ocean Pearl

On 03 July 2017 at 13:18 "greatketch@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Mark,

Stainless screws are fine if you use something like Tefgel to isolate them.

Even if you do go with aluminum screws, use Tefgel. The difference in alloys is enough to cause trouble, and the Al screws are not strong enough to remove if there is even a trace of corrosion. Talk to anybody who head had to remove the Al screws Amel used to attach the boom tracks!

Bill Kinney
SM160 Harmonie
Boston, Mass