From: Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...>
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: 06 July 2017 at 18:58
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Mizzem mast radar cable

Hi Bill,

Just to offer that if you get a product called cable lube and lather the cable with it before you pull it. It doesn't leave residual mess and it is incredible how much easier it is to lull the cable. I have been told,  in the absence of cable lube KY jelly works. Haven't tried it myself. We've had a 1 litre bottle of the cable lube on board for 8 years.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 06 July 2017 at 13:00 "greatketch@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello All,

After 20 years of service our venerable Furuno 1831 has gone to the great boatyard in the sky, and it is time to install our new radar.

I am just about ready to climb the mast and change out the scanner, and am hoping someone here can prevent any unpleasant surprises when it is time to pull the new cable. I found where the cable goes into the base of the mast step in the aft head.  I have found the access plate and cable at the base of the mast.

Is the cable secured in any way inside the mast?  Can I just attach the new cable and use the old one to pull it up the mast?  I know others have done this job, any suggestions to make it go smoothly would be greatly appreciated!

Bill Kinney

SM160, Harmonie

Boston, Mass