Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Lofrans Tigres windlass turns itself on

greatketch@...

Something I haven't seen mentioned here before, is that the switches for the winches are specified by Lewmar as having only a 3 to 5 year life span before they need to be replaced.  I am sure that is conservative, but remember they are not forever!

Once that rubber cover starts to get dull and "grainy" from sun exposure it's time to swap them out--before it fails.  Its an easy job, and prevents dangerous problems.

I remember seeing a photo in a SM sales listing with one of the winch switches having an obvious hole in the rubber cover.  That gave me a very good idea of the attention to maintenance on that boat!

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Boston, Mass