Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Introduction

Anne-Sophie Schmitt <nearlynothing@...>

Thank you for the detail. I will solve the view out
from the helm by raising the dodger 50 mm. Amel should
take note of this visibility issue, either lowering
the helm seat or raising the dodger. Thanks.
--- Anne and John <hollamby@...> wrote:
Message text written by
INTERNET:amelyachtowners@...
<
I removed the Amel seat by taking out the bolts and
slowly cut through the
mastic with a long razor knife. I had obtained two
pedestals from New
Zealand,these are important because all the other
makes do not seem to have
up/down and in/out movements with gas filled
struts.The pedestal fits
perfectly on the centre line of the wheel and is
secured with bolts through
six new holes in the floor of the cockpit. You have
to remove the light
fitting in the engine space,cut away the foam sound
proofing and put a
piece of marine ply larger than the base of the
pedestal on the underside
of the cockpit floor to take the securing bolts and
put mastic on the base
before fixing. Then fix the foam back with contact
glue and refix the
light.
The pedestal takes any of a number of plastic
seats....mine was an import
from the States available in Europe and my wife made
some removable
cushions secured by press studs and it looks great.
The lowest position of the seat is about level with
the cockpit seats and
the highest position is similar to the Amel seat
from which I coud not see
the horizon. As the seat swivels one can actually
face the people in the
cockpit and turn back when you like,it can of course
be locked in any
direction and the movements are very easy thanks to
the gas struts.The
backwards and forwards movement is about three
inches.
The table is then unfixable as the supports are gone
but we are about to
get a fitting that will solve that problem although
it will mean that the
table will be stored in a locker when not needed.
As the pedestal is made in NZ it is not expensive
and could easily be sent
air freight.The fax no of the Kiwi company is on my
boat and if you want it
let me know and I will send it on.
The second pedestal replaces the Amel stool which is
easily removed by
taking out the bolt under the floor.The wooden base
is fixed with a mastic
and has to be cut away with a chisel. The floor is
strong enough to take
the pedestal bolted down through a new hardwood pad
and I moved the
position of the seat forward as far as possible,ie
so that the pad still
covers the hole which supported the original stool.
It might have been
better if I had moved the position an inch or so
nearer the centre line of
the boat.
Moving the position forward gets the seat out of the
way a bit and suits us
as we are right handed at the chart table.
The seat was then upholstered and is very
comfortable and suits us who are
over six feet tall and also my grandchildren who are
about four feet high
!!
I would post some pics to this site if I knew how
!!!!!

Regards John Hollamby

http://autos.yahoo.com