From: "Ben Driver/YAHOO joedoakes66@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>
Date: 7/8/17 9:12 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amel54 Main Sail Furler

Hi Courtney,
What Bill describes happened to us. It was totally my fault for very improperly  furling the sail - in high winds with no outhaul.  We were unable to get it out of the mast with in-out motion of outhaul.  It was tightly backlashed.  However, we were successfully in getting it out.

I went up the mast (in a bosun's chair with safety line) where I could see top portion of sail bunched and pulled it out by hand while Gayle operated the outhaul.  You need start at top where it is easier to pull out and slowly work downward.   I think you'll find clearing it from top down is only way. It was impossible for me to pull bottom of sail out.  Little by little you'll work your way to bottom and free sail.  Once we stared this method, it took us about 45 minutes.   It was more pulling by hand than outhaul.  And many times rolling in and then out.

Good luck and patience
Ben

Ben and Gayle
S/V La Bella Vita
SM #347

On Jul 8, 2017, at 8:37 AM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Courtney,

I still don't have enough information to give you a definite answer, so here goes my best guess.

The sail has "backlashed" or in other words wound backwards over itself. It is going to take a someone keeping a very close eye on the leech where it goes into the slot in the mast to direct a crew member to furl and unfurl until you get the backlash out. While performing this it is difficult for me to tell you when to have pressure on the clew (outhaul tension) because it depends on how the sail is backlashed. The number one thing that you need to have is patience and do this one inch at a time, moving the furling motor to furl and unfurl while pulling at the appropriate time on the clew (outhaul). If you like, give me a call at the number below. I am assuming that the sails are original and has battens. The battens will make this job much more difficult. If you run out of patience, seek the help of a sail loft.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 1:19 PM, itsfun1 Itsfun1@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill
1. Sails were luffing, I had used the sail to get off a sandbar and rushed taking it in.
2. Was 80% until I tired to unfurl and now 100% (another bad)
3. They attempt to move but no movement I didn't push it as I did not want to make a bad situation worse.
Thanks
Courtney
Amel 54, Trippin
Brunswick

From: "SV Garulfo svgarulfo@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...om>
Date: 7/7/17 9:57 AM (GMT-05:00)
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amel54 ONAN Generator MDKBN Fuel Pump 149 2646

Thanks all for extensive responses.
As for some of you, this must be the result of a prior mechanics work.
We will bear in mind your recommendations when we do our first intervention.

Best wishes,

On 5 July 2017 at 18:29, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...om> wrote:

Thanks for the plug, Porter.

Every Amel owner should do their very best to contain saltwater when opening anything with saltwater. A combination of towels and suction will keep your Amel engine room looking new. And, it is no more trouble to do things the BEST way.

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Jul 5, 2017 09:35, "Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...om> wrote:
Mine is extremely rusty.  Purchased that way: likely prior mechanic did not use the Bill Rouse wet/dry vac/ surgical suction method for total NaCl containment.
Applied Corosion X, now unchanged and have a spare in the parts list.

Works fine however is a cosmetic issue at present.

Porter McRoberts
S/V Ibis: Amel 54-#152
Ft. Lauderdale
www.fouribis.com
portermcroberts@...

On Jul 5, 2017, at 10:12 AM, 'Mohammad Shirloo' mshirloo@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...om> wrote:

Hello Thomas;

As stated by others, the fuel pump should look clean, painted finish. The salt water from the raw water impeller will drip/pour over the fuel pump if preventative steps are not taken. If you do not see an active leak or evidence thereof, this would most likely explain the issue. We had the same issue when we purchased ours due to previous “mechanic’s” work. I have carefully cleaned it as best as possible and applied corrosionX to try to control the rust. (A coat of rust preventer, primer and paint may not be a bad idea).

I have also purchased a spare fuel pump, just in case.

Respectfully;

Mohammad & Aty

B&B Kokomo

Amel 54 #099