Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amel54 Main Sail Furler

greatketch@...

Hanspeter,

I am sure Bill R. will have his own thoughts to add, but here are my ideas...

I believe you are suggesting that the sail needs to be rolled up to gybe.  I never do this.  There is no need. Boats with traditional sails do not douse the sail to gybe, and you do not have to either.  Here is my normal procedure, which is basically the same for the main and the mizzen:
  1. Sail at 160 to 150 degrees off the true wind.
  2. Loosen the preventer, and detach from the gunwale. I usually leave it attached to the boom and let it come across with the sail. If you use two preventers, it is even easier, just uncleat the one on the leeward side.
  3. Bring in the main sheet until the boom is almost over the traveler. If you set it up too tight the traveler will be hard to move.
  4. Move the traveler all the way over to what will become the new windward side of the boat.
  5. Slowly turn the boat to 160-150 degrees off the apparent wind on the new tack. During the turn the boom will cross to the new side.  If you have removed most of the slack from the system, it will not be a violent event..
  6. As soon as the boom crosses, ease the sheet.
  7. Reattach and tighten the preventer.
A second part of your question might be how to furl the sail when reaching or running in strong winds.  The answer is you need to come up into the wind enough to get the sail luffing, off the shrouds and the boom free. This is not at all unique to a roller furling sail.  A traditional slab reef sail can not be pulled down if it is held tight to shrouds by 30 knots of wind. Once the sail is fully luffing it can be rolled up.  You do not need to point the bow into the wind, but you DO need to get the wind pressure off the sail.  No need for the engine, the jib will keep you moving along at an appropriate wind angle.
.
Can you get away with rolling the sail under tension?  Yes--sometimes.  Maybe even most of the time. But doing so risks fouling the sail, and is very hard on the sail, and the furling gear and should be avoided. If you have battens in the sail, it might not be possible.

Hopefully, by the time the true wind has gotten to 30 knots you have a pretty significant amount of sail already rolled up, ("Reef early!  Reef often!")  so the last bit goes pretty easily.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Boston, Mass

---In amelyachtowners@..., <hanspeter.baettig@...> wrote :

Hello Bill
Brilliant how do you explains to the US newbes how to furling the  mainsail. I agree.But please explaine us how you furling in the main mainsail (as a Commander Emeritus)
how to furling the mainsail, ocean crossing, tradwinds 30 kn on the reach or behind, and you do neede to make a jib. Of cours you set up a "bullen stander" to avoid a jyb in the the stars.
Hope you and your wife have a  good time in your new house down the Texas cost 👍
Best regards
Hanspeter
Tamango 2
SM 16