Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Thickening polyurethane paint

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Ben,

For what it is worth, I did not use flattener, and had to thin the paint slightly.

Bill Rouse
BeBe

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 4:06 PM, Ben Driver joedoakes66@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

John 
I'm using exactly the paint and tool but with flattener.  My need to forgo the flattener.  

Ben Driver
La Bella Vita
SM #347
6S

On Jul 13, 2017, at 4:09 PM, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi Ben,

Do you think an accelerator would help? https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=98105&familyName=Quantum+99+Urethane+Accelerator

I am not sure you need to thicken the paint. It sounds like you need less of it on the application wheel. Are you using the tool so the barrel stays below the wheel? The tool should not be used upright. Ideally when using a pinstripe tool you want to illuminate as much gravity as you can. This will put less paint on the wheel. Also, if you put the non-paint end of the tool in the groove on the deck, it will help keep your line straight as you pull/push the tool to apply paint. Try this technique on a some paper first, it may be all you need.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Grenada

www.creampuff.us

From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com [mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2017 3:50 PM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Thickening polyurethane paint

Hi Mark

I'm painting deck stripes using Beugler tool

Ben 

Ben and Gayle

La Bella Vita

SM #347

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Thursday, July 13, 2017, 3:41 PM, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Ben

Are you painting the deck stripes or boot stripes?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Grenada

www.creampuff.us

From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com [mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2017 2:56 PM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Thickening polyurethane paint

It's time to repaint my stripes. I'm using an available interlux poly-urethane paint. My problem is paint is too thin and dripping from roller on striper.  Can anyone recommend a thickening agent?  Current mixture is 50/50 Interlux Brightside single part enamel and Interlux flattening agent.  All suggestions welcome.

Ben

Ben and Gayle

La Bella Vita

SM2k #347

Le Marin 

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.