Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Climma AC Capacitors

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Bill,

It may be just the numbers. For instance a SM2k has about 20 capacitors that will completely fail within 10-20 years, and all of them will begin to get out of spec in a few years. A start capacitor may work for years while out of spec. The Climma fan speed capacitors are critical because sufficient fan speed is necessary to keep the high temperature interrupt switch from opening...and, of course sufficient fan speed is required to sufficiently cool.

I think that the majority of SM owners in this forum have 10-25 year-old Climma AC units and every one of those capacitors is at end-to-end. That age statistic is amazing for a marine AC, considering most home ACs don't last 20 years...and most home AC units will have a capacitor failure in their lifetime.

So, I think it is the numbers.

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Jul 14, 2017 11:34, "greatketch@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Can anybody explain how I have gone my entire life working around household, industrial and marine equipment, and never replaced a capacitor on a motor, yet it seems to be a routine failure we talk about here?  Am I just lucky?  Or is there something going on?  Now to be fair, very few of the electric motors I have used around boats have been AC motors, so it might just be a sample too small to give useful data.

Is there something special about the electrical supply characteristics or the general environment on board that is causing this?  Maybe salt air getting into the capacitor and shorting out the plates?

For what it is worth, I haven't had a failure of a capacitor on Harmonie--yet. (I am sure just that just jinxed at least one of them!)  On the other had, we hardly ever use any of our AC motors, so it might just be a usage factor.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harm onie
Boston, Mass