From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Richard Piller
Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2007 11:34 AM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re:Maramu fuel tank

Jim, we did the job a bit different, We used a fuel
polishing guy to pump the tank a number of times to
clean things out. Once the tank was fully pumped we
took off the fuel lines prior to the fist fuel filter
and put some air pressue to the tank to blow out and
grim still in the lines. It work very well no longer
did we have an issue with bad fuel.

We also added a dual filter system to keep from having
prolbems underway should be a get a bad batch of
fuel..

Good luck and fair winds
Richard SM 209
--- Don Henderson <maramu48@yahoo.com <mailto:maramu48%40yahoo.com> >
wrote:

James,
Thanks for your comments. Can you describe the
size and positions of the baffles? Are they welded
to the sides and bottom? Are there limber holes at
the bottom corners, or is there a space between the
bottom edge of a baffle and the bottom of the tank?
thanks

Jim Dernehl <jim.dernehl@operatingtech.com
<mailto:jim.dernehl%40operatingtech.com> > wrote:
Jochen
You are correct, that the lack of access ports in
these well made
stainless steel tanks must be addressed at some
point on every boat.
Diesel will shed crud---living and dead---that must
be removed. I
addressed this issue on my Amel by having a series
of access ports cut
in the lower part of the tanks between each
baffle----about 4-5 ports
were cut. Each port is large enough to reach through
with a brush and
vacuum hose. The fellow who did the work for me
claimed to pull from the
tank about 12 gallons of crud accumulated over a 9
year period. Next
time I am at the boat, I will take some pictures and
send them on with
dimensions. It is very important to seal these ports
with gasket and
solid sections of stainless steel that will take the
normal strain of
sailing with out leaking.

James Dernehl
Maramu # 88 PAO-SAN