Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] roller furling rivets

liebling207 <liebling207@...>

Hello Bill R and other helpful readers,

Thank you for your reply regarding the alumninum rivits in the jib
furler. All of my pins have sheared off but I beleinve the holes in
the jib tube and outer ring are still in good condition. I would
like to only replace the alluminum rivits with new ones and have a
few questions.
1. Do you know if I have to remove the broken half of the rivits
from inside the assembly or can I just push them aside when I
install the new rivits.
2. If I have to remove the the broken rivits from the inside of the
assembly how can this be done?
3. I have one rivit in my spare parts bag that is 2 inches long. Is
that the size rivit to be used in this location?

Thank you for any insights.
James DeSalvo, SM#207

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "" <leonorebt@...> wrote:

Hello James,
I have had the same problem several times and finally the foil
holes were worn enough to warrant further action so I removed all
the rivits and used the gib halyard to lift the foil out of the
fixture and cut off about 1/2 inch from the bottom being careful not
to damage the forestay. Then drilled new holes in the foil for new
rivits and that has worked well. But you need a large rivit gun to
handle the large rivits.

Good luck, Bill Rahmig Leonore of Sark SM72