Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Hydraulic Linear Drive.

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Hello Gulls and Guys,

I installed a Lecombe & Schmidt hydraulic self priming drive ( better quality than the Ray equiv unit) coupled to a Raymarine AC 400 system.  It was not very successful at first because of the poor engineering, quality control and installation done in TK.

However, the results after 2 engineering changes and many thousand miles have proven it reliable and in my opinion more supple and subtle, hence easier on the boat than a comparable electric drive which steers the boat by “0” and “1” rather than a smooth change; in fact, the electric unit is only used occasionally to verify its’ serviceability.  However, the installation of a hydraulic drive in an early SM enforces a regime of “remove the rudder bellcrank” to verify and tighten the rudder shaft nylon nut because one cannot get the tool under the modified bellcrank to tighten it while at sea.  (Lose all steering if done… think of putting the boat in “irons” before removing the bellcrank.  Hence the “regime" described earlier….

Unfortunately, I am now in Europe visiting friends and never took photos of the installation…

If you are interested in photos and parts list, I will be back on the boat on 15 Sep…

Kind regards,

Jean-Pierre Germain,
SY Eleuthera, SM 007

On 21 Jul 2017, at 22:15, Stephen Davis flyboyscd@...regie[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Pat,

I've got an older SM (#72), and will be adding a linear drive before we do our Pacific crossing early next year. I'd really appreciate I if you could send me any info and pictures you have of how you added the drive to your boat. I've got some ideas, but seeing a good and working installation would be great.

Thanks,
Steve Davis
Aloha SM72
Aruba

Flyboyscd at gmail dot com

On Jul 21, 2017, at 15:11, Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Maria, I can't remember if you guys already have linear drive . Do you already have linear and just want to replace it or add linear drive to the boat . If you are adding it , I have done that and can give some guidance . Diane keeps me up to date on you guys , we will be down next winter , hope you are still there , we'll continue our tandem cruise . Your daughter's wedding pics were fantastic. Say Hi ! to Willie & Niki .

Pat
SM Shenanigan