Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Newbie looking for Amel and Offshore experience

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good morning Brent,

To add on Mark’s comment.
I took the ASA classes (101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, plus docking and celestial) so the biggest sailboat I was on was a 39 Beneteau. Despite the increase in size, it was not a problem at all.

Prior purchasing and having mine delivered, I read over, over and over the owner manuals until I knew them by heart. They are severals, all a little different (some in English, some in French).

http://www.nikimat.com/amel_super_maramu_2000_manual.pdf
http://www.nikimat.com/amel_super_maramu_2000_Optional_equipment.pdf
http://www.nikimat.com/amel_Super_Maramu_2000_Polar_Chart.pdf
http://www.nikimat.com/amel_super_maramu_2000_Users_Guide_CP.pdf
http://www.nikimat.com/Guide_utilisateur_Pack_Confort.pdf
http://www.nikimat.com/Manuel_du_proprietaire_Pack_Confort.pdf

With time, you will have to learn to do your own maintenance, like the bow thruster and C-Drive every 2 years.
It is not difficult, just time consuming. Dont believe shipyard can do this maintenance, they likely never did it, so you will do a better job yourself.
Here is an example for the bow thruster.
http://www.nikimat.com/bow_thruster_overhaul.html

I have many more illustration which I need to organize on my web site for people to look at.

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Port de Plaisance de Gustavia, Saint Barthélémy, FWI

Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Newbie looking for Amel and Offshore experience
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Sunday, July 23, 2017, 3:17 PM

Thanks Mark… I was just
(Re-)reading your excellent blog!  Seems like I’m about 5
years behind you but in very similar circumstances.  I’ve
had the chance to crawl around a couple of Amels and came to
the exact same conclusions you did on your Why Amel page.
Henri did things differently  than most but there was most
often a darn good reason for it and once you understand
that, you have a hard time looking seriously at anything
else.

On Jul 23, 2017, 3:58 PM -0400, 'Mark Erdos'
mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners]
<amelyachtowners@...>, wrote:

Hi
Brent,

Good luck in your
search. Amels are darn fine boats and it is worth waiting
for the right one to come onto the market.

We went from a Cheoy
Lee 38 to our Amel. It was a huge learning curve. It is not
hard but very time consuming to learn the Amel systems. We
are still learning but trying to have some fun in
between.

Let Joel know your
budget and one day your phone will ring. Bill’s Amel
school can get you ready to go and help you be
prepared.

Hope to see you out
here someday soon.

With best