Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] No battery charge from 24 V alternater

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Vladimir,

  1. I am sure that you realize that you are probably measuring battery bank voltage at the alternator.
  2. I​
    f you have the OEM Leece-Neville alternator, the
    ​ regulator is built into the alternator.
  3. Also there is an external relay on the excite wire that is also connected to the alternator alarm.
Maybe this information will help you.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 8:18 PM, Ben Driver/YAHOO joedoakes66@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Vladimir,
Are you measuring voltage at engine idle?  I found my alternator did not charge unless rpm was at about 1500 or more.  At that point it puts out 27 volts.
Ben

Ben and Gayle
S/V La Bella Vita
SM #347

On Jul 23, 2017, at 8:47 PM, Vladimir Sonsev sonsev52@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Ban,

You are correct. My problem started with broken field wire. I reconnected the wire. Perhaps loose wire made a short on the alternator body.
Alternator is not charging, but I measure 25v on alternator black and red wires.

SM #345 "LIFE IS GOOD"
Vladimir Sonsev
Tel/Text: 202 258 1916

On Jul 23, 2017 8:25 PM, "Ben Driver/YAHOO joedoakes66@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...om> wrote:

Vladimir
I had similar situation.  Look closely at small field wires on alternator.  You may find loose or corroded connections.  I think this is very common with older boats.  My bad connection was barely visible.  On my hands and knees looking under alternator I discovered corroded  connection .
Ben

Ben and Gayle
S/V La Bella Vita
SM #347

On Jul 23, 2017, at 8:15 PM, sonsev52@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...om> wrote:

My alternator stopped charging the battery. It looks like alternator is OK. I measured voltage on black and red wires comming from the alternator at 25v at 750 engine RPM. At low RPM the alternator red light is no longer on. Is there a schematics or wiring diagram for 24 v alternator, and regulator?
Please advise troubleshooting steps.

Vladimir
SM #345 "LIFE IS GOOD"