Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Engines not starting

Patrick McAneny

Mark, I agree , I checked that first and several times, even switched out to one of the house batteries , same results. It would not appear to be at the battery switch at least not on the positive side as I have 12.6 at the solenoids . But that is without a load .
Thanks,
Pat

-----Original Message-----
To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Tue, Jul 25, 2017 10:08 am
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Engines not starting

If neither the engine or the genset start and have the same symptoms, the common denominator is the start battery.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper
Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275
Currently cruising - Grenada

Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 9:04 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Engines not starting

For some time I have had an intermittent probably starting my Volvo engine , I would turn the battery switch on and off a few times and it would start . I don't know if that was coincidental or not. Last night we went out to go for a sail and the engine would not start and I discovered that the generator would not start either. I would trouble shoot this more myself , but a year ago and reconfirmed a week ago , I agreed to take an elderly couple and their family out on my boat for a sunset sail to celebrate their 50 th Anniversary , they are really looking forward to it and so need to solve this issue within five days. Below is what I determined last night ;
Neither engine will start.
Battery shows 12.6 V
Have 12.6 V at both solenoids   
Have 12.6 V at battery wires on back side of battery switches
When I turn the key , the fan comes on , turn the key to start and fan and gauges go dead.
After that Voltage only measures 11. 8
After short time , turn key and fan runs very slowly
Turn key again , fan does not run , gauges dead , even alarm button pushed , nothing
I switched wires to another 12v house battery , same things happen
Generator switch has 12.6 V at the terminals , five white wires , don't know which does what.
The glow plug lite does not even come on.
fuse is good on back side of Gen.
Solenoids don't click
Since battery voltage went down after key is turned a few times , I checked for heat on starter & solenoid , both cool to touch.

It seems logical that whatever the problem is , that it is affecting both engines 
My understanding is that when the key is turned , the ground is momentarily connected by a switch , where is this switch located ?
Both engines would not share this switch , would they.
Do both engines share the same ground?
To me it seems like corrosion on a terminal , but I get 12.6 on the back of the battery switches between the positive and negative wires , from there I have 12.6 at the solenoids 

Any thoughts on what to check or what may be my problem would be appreciated.

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.