From: 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners]
To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Wed, Aug 2, 2017 9:06 am
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Routes From Georgia to Puerto Rico

Courtney,

During that time of year, you will see weather fronts pass through the region one after another and as they pass winds will “clock” around the compass. It takes about 4-6 days for winds to completely clock allowing an eastern passage. My advice would be to sail as far east as possible taking advantage of one the these winter fronts.

Selecting the right front is key and having a schedule will not help matters. If you can push east for about 4 days or 500NM you will then be in position to steer 170 and the eastern winds will not be as much of a factor.

We used this method when we left the Bahamas and sailed east (really sailed with no motor) to PR. We were not on a schedule so we stopped in TCI and waited for another front so we could continue onto PR. During our eastern passage we  meet several sailors in TCI doing exactly the same, sailing as the fronts passed through and taking advantage of the clocking winds. If you are lucky and patient, you may be able to get back to back fronts.

Others have recommended The Gentleman's Guide to Passages South: The Thornless Path to Windward by Bruce Van Sant. We found the book not very helpful and poorly written. Since the book’s publication 3 day forecast have become much more reliable and weather can be obtained via satellite or SSB on a boat. If you can stand to read the egotist’s ramblings, it does contain some helpful information.

My second choice would be to sail to Bermuda taking advantage of a good weather window. Then go from Bermuda to PR. I think someone else already suggested this. Leaving Bermuda for PR would be a little easier to get a decent weather window and Bermuda is not a bad place to sit and wait. When leaving Bermuda aim for the BVI as the currents will push you westward.

This is my 2 cents worth and as they say on the cruises nets, the decision and course to sail is yours and yours along. Be safe.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper
Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275
Currently cruising - Grenada