Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Our new Amel and a little light problem

Dean Gillies

Thanks Pater,
Our Lopo is a bicolour and both sides are out.

We are about to jury rig a temporary solution so we can sail, and we'll order a new Lopo at our destination.

Hopefully we can pull the new one through ok.

Many thanks
Dean

On 6 Aug 2017, at 11:14 am, Peter Forbes ppsforbes@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Dean,

One of my lopo’s failed and the replacement came with very long wires.

I found the join just inside the stainless tubing near the light - I could not figure out why it had a joint at all - I concluded just idleness on part of installer since this invites water corrosion.

I pulled the wire with mouse line attached with much less problem than I anticipated - so with new light re-threaded the greased wire from top rail down to fuse box re-connected and all has been Ok since then.

Only one lower bow nav light failed thus and when renewed they both lasted round the World.

Hope that helps

Peter
Peter Forbes
0044 7836 209730
Carango  Sailing Ketch
Amel 54 #035
In a Hurricane cradle in Grenada

On 6 Aug 2017, at 10:04, trifin@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

After more checking, I can now confirm that there is power to the junction box in the bow locker when the switch is made.

I note also that the cable which is connected (sealed) to the light unit is not the same type of cable which exits the stainless tubing of the pulpit inside the bow locker. So, it appears there is a cable join inside the tubing. I'm not sure why you would locate the join in the tubing and not in the locker, but presumably there is a good reason?

I have measured the current to the light unit and found 25mA. So, I assume this joint is ok and the LED power supply is operating (somewhat), However, the LED's don't light.

The light is a Lopo 200-004 from 2009-37 batch. Google tells me that there have been many failures with Lopo lights, so everything points to the diagnosis that the light unit has simply failed.

Any "me-too's" out there?

Any hints on easily pulling a new cable through the pulpit metalwork?

Thanks all.

Dean and Jan
SY Stella, Amel 54 #154

.