[Amel Yacht Owners] Amel SM2000 engine 75hp versus 100hp

Serge Tremblay <laetitiaii@...>

Hi,

Just wanted to follow up on the last post.

As a Mango owner with a 85 hp Perkins sailing in the Med for two years until i crossed back in February 07, not only did i have enought motor power in all circumstances, but while in France and Spain i purchased spares for my motor at a lower cost from Trans Atlantic Diesel ...
in the USA, even after paying for transportation costs and duty...

BTW, Henri Amel' personal and experimental Mango was fitted with a 100hp Perkins but also with two tube bowthrusters (as opposed to the retractible system installed on Mangos and SM). I am advised the tube system absorbs up to 0.5kn of speed. The larger motor or the tube bowthruster were not retained as usual options for Amel's Mango clients. The SM being a bit heavier and the less efficient transmisson of power to the propeller, may justify a small power increment from the Mango 85 Hp.

What i would stay away from, motorwise and if possible, is a turbo charged diesel. The naturaly aspired motor offers more reliability and when you sail in areas where a factory trained mechanic and a fully supplied motor parts store are not to be found, the KISS principle makes more sense. Otherwise, you must at least have aboard all the spares for the turbo, including ... the motor workshop manual.

Serge, Mango 51

BeyersWF <BeyersWF@aol.com> a écrit :
Armin,

In 2000, I bought a 1982 Amel Mango with a 80 HP Perkins
[European engine] and spent five years chasing parts to no avail. Last Fall
I had installed a 90 HP Yanmar Turbo. Although I have not had her out in
strong winds and high seas [I'm a live aboard and work every day], she does
well with a Max prop in the Chesapeake Bay. I could have bought a new kid
and had money left over. The keel had to be re-bedded for the Yanmar.

Coming around Cape Hatteras in 2000 with the 80 HP in 48 knot winds and 20
foot seas in a North Easter, the Mango did fine motor sailing [on the other
hand, I didn't feel too great]. So I have no concern with the 90 HP Yanmar
unless things get much worse. I crewed on an Amel Mango like mine [the
engine looked like a Perkins, I wasn't in the engine room] and she did fine
motor sailing down Long Island Sound in a 38 knot South wind with a North
tide running. Every third wave threw water on the windscreen. A larger
engine will burn more fuel; however, I could not tolerate an engine [the
European Perkins] that I could not get parts or service for. Have no clue
if this helps you. I'd be more concerned about getting the 75 HP engine
parts and service than how she performs in lousy weather.

Crash

"Windrush," Solomons, MD, USA