Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Battery Charging while hauled out

john martin <symoondog@...>

I agree. Why do you need a battery charger if you aren't using any power? If I leave my boat for 6 months with all power cut off including the 2 main switches,and come back to find dead batteries, I'm going to get rid of those turkeys. Serge on Mango 51 was right. If you need parts for your Perkins, call Trans Atlantic diesel in the U.S. 804-6429296
John ' Moondog" SM 248

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.comFrom: no_reply@yahoogroups.comDate: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 23:22:54 +0000
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Battery Charging while hauled out

I have had a Super Maramu (#195) for 10 years, currently hauled out in Deltaville, VA. Before that, a Maramu for 13 years. I have stored these boats hauled out in the US and Europe many of the winters. I NEVER left a boat plugged in for the winter. The batteries always did fine. (I turn off ALL power-drawing items) My batteries have lasted 5 - 8 years. I have always used the Delco sealed batteries (original Amel equipment), but other batteries should also do fine over the winter.If a battery charger trips a circuit breaker, the problem is a short somewhere in the system, or a faulty charger. Boat yard electrical systems are notoriously poor. Unless you are living aboard, don't leave your boat plugged in. It's not a good idea.Roy, Excalibur (SM #195)

Share life as it happens with the new Windows Live.Download today it's FREE!
http://www.windowslive.com/share.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_Wave2_sharelife_112007