Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Battery Charging while hauled out

rbenven44 <no_reply@...>

Hi Pat,

I think I have the same electrical configuration as you: a step-
up transformer that takes the 110V 60 Hz shore power, and steps it up
to 220/230V 60 Hz. From there it goes to the battery charger, the
water heater, A/C units, and other 220V appliances. There is a
circuit breaker just above the transformer, near the battery
charger. I have had this trip several times when plugged in to shore
power in the US. Invariably, the problem was bad shore power,
usually a small amount of voltage on the ground lead, which leads to
the breaker tripping. As I said before, marina and boatyard
electrical systems are notoriously prone to faults.
But it could also be caused by too high a voltage on the 110V
input, resulting in more than 230V out of the transformer. You can
check for both of these easily with a voltmeter. As far as I know,
and in my experience, low voltage will not trip the breaker, and 60Hz
(vs 50Hz)definitely will not. I have had low voltage (around 180V
out of the transformer)for over a week at a marina, and no problems
with either the battery charger or the circuit breaker.
Finally, if the fault is not in the input line, you need to check
the current draw of your battery charger. A circuit breaker will
trip under three possible conditions: too high current, too high
voltage (both of which will overheat the breaker and trip it), or a
short (including a ground fault). If your breaker trips after an
hour of operation, it may be that your battery charger is drawing too
much current, causing the breaker to trip from overheating. To check
for this, you need a system ammeter, or another way to measure
current draw. (Look up amelliahona's posts on how to measure
electricity draw).
Hope all this helps. Please ask more questions as you work on the
problem. That's what this site is all about.

Roy, Excalibur, SM #195