Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Battery Charging while hauled out

Richard Piller <richard03801@...>

Hi, we had the same kind of issues and removed the
AMEL supplied charger and transformer. One is tha the
transformer is alway hot given it is a coil designe to
store power. So you always have hgh voltage present.
BE VERY VERY CAREFUL IF YOU HAVE TO WORK ON IT...

We replaced the charger with a 90-260 volt 50/60 cycle
Dolphine (the US name for a Rya charger that Amel
used). We also installed an inverter wired to the 24
volt bank to run our 110 volt cycle stuff. This work
quite well with no "dock" voltage issues. We also ran
all of 110 volt plug off the inverter. That did not
take much to wire as we simply picked up the 110 line
in the engine room from the inverter. Not a big deal
and used the 110 breaker for safety...
good luck and good charging..
Richard on SM 209 in Port Annapolis
--- rbenven44 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi Pat,

I think I have the same electrical configuration
as you: a step-
up transformer that takes the 110V 60 Hz shore
power, and steps it up
to 220/230V 60 Hz. From there it goes to the
battery charger, the
water heater, A/C units, and other 220V appliances.
There is a
circuit breaker just above the transformer, near the
battery
charger. I have had this trip several times when
plugged in to shore
power in the US. Invariably, the problem was bad
shore power,
usually a small amount of voltage on the ground
lead, which leads to
the breaker tripping. As I said before, marina and
boatyard
electrical systems are notoriously prone to faults.
But it could also be caused by too high a voltage
on the 110V
input, resulting in more than 230V out of the
transformer. You can
check for both of these easily with a voltmeter. As
far as I know,
and in my experience, low voltage will not trip the
breaker, and 60Hz
(vs 50Hz)definitely will not. I have had low
voltage (around 180V
out of the transformer)for over a week at a marina,
and no problems
with either the battery charger or the circuit
breaker.
Finally, if the fault is not in the input line,
you need to check
the current draw of your battery charger. A circuit
breaker will
trip under three possible conditions: too high
current, too high
voltage (both of which will overheat the breaker and
trip it), or a
short (including a ground fault). If your breaker
trips after an
hour of operation, it may be that your battery
charger is drawing too
much current, causing the breaker to trip from
overheating. To check
for this, you need a system ammeter, or another way
to measure
current draw. (Look up amelliahona's posts on how to
measure
electricity draw).
Hope all this helps. Please ask more questions
as you work on the
problem. That's what this site is all about.

Roy, Excalibur, SM #195

Looking for last minute shopping deals?