Alternator failing to start charge

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

--Hi all,

I sent the below post under the wrong subject. I repeat it under the correct heading. My apologies.

Danny

Hi, I have bee waiting for the heavyweights to answer this but they are silent so far. For the alternator to start up it has to be excited by a 12 volt feed from the starting battery. this should occur when the key/switch is turned on before the starter is engaged. The blowers and a volt meter or ammeter (if fitted) should activate at the same time. The problem with the alternator not starting to charge would indicate the connection from the battery, through the key to the alternator is broken.(ie not functioning) This could be as simple as a bad contact in the key. Given its years of service this is quite possible;

The 24 volt alternator has to be excited by a 24 volt current from the house bank. This is achieved by a 12 volt current from the starting battery through the key activating a solenoid switch closing a circuit from the house bank to the 24 volt alternator.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 16 August 2017 at 04:14 "John Clark john.biohead@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Chris,
  Darn it Mike beat me to it!   Yes, it is the light for the compass at the helm.  You can dim it as needed to maintain night vision.   I know there will be a few issues with a boat that has as many systems as the Amel, but with the forum you should be able to find answers from people who have been there....and one or two that have literally written books on the Amel.

I might address your 12v main engine alternator issue.  I have an older SM that was updated to the same engine I suspect you have, the Volvo TMD22.   My 12v alternator sometimes does not want to wake up in the morning.  What has resolved the issue was to rev the engine to about 2000rpm in neutral(go into engine room and locally activate the throttle linkage without putting transmission in gear) then quickly back to idle.  Might take a try or two.  It usually catches.  Once woken up it is good for the day.   Is your tachometer also showing no activity?

               Regards,   John

John Clark
SV Annie  SM37
cruising Pamlico Sound

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 11:58 AM, Mike Ondra mdondra@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Binnacle light

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Droid
On Aug 15, 2017 11:47 AM, "rettirc@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

After being on our new (to us) Super Maramu for about 2 weeks, there have been a few challenges thrown at me from generator stopping, air conditioning raw water pump issues, 12v alternator on main engine not working, torn head sail, blocked electric toilet, tender outboard overheating, flat start battery, main battery bank low,..............etc

I am starting to learn the ropes of boat ownership!!!!!!  I was once told, "the only that that works on a boat, is the owner".

Anyway we have just arrived in Langkawi, Malaysia from Phuket, Thailand and honestly enjoying the boat.

My question is, what is the dial on the DC panel for?  It does turn on a green light in the star, however I am sure it has another purpose, could somebody please help me.  The very few manuals I have are in French and I failed that subjec t at school.

On another note, just to ensure I don't get bored, I have new standing rigging arriving in the next few days from ACMO.

Chris

SM224

Lena S, changing to Jaygo