Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Anemometer stop working

mfmcgovern@...

We found that ours was not working when we had her surveyed.  There were two issues:

1.  The bearings were seized in the anemometer

2.  The main connection was corroded and cracked.  Picture attached.

I asked Bill Rouse about the issue and he sent me the following response:

B&G Wind Speed
If the Wind Speed is inaccurate in light winds and sometimes zero, it is almost always the Wind Speed Sensor Part# 210-10-038 about $150. See attached:
B&G Masthead Unit 213 exploded view.JPG

If the Wind Speed is zero and the 213 MHU wind cups are turning, it could be lots of things including in the order of probability:
  1. Same part above
  2. PCB inside the 213 MastHead Unit (213MHU) about $150
  3. The 213MHU Mount and the in-mast cable (this is one part) about $300
  4. Incorrect programming of the CPU for the analog repeater gauges (let's talk)
  5. The B&G Hydra 2000 Processor (CPU) only available used about $250
We ended up replacing the entire mast head unit as well as the cable.

Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD